A/W 2010 beauty tips: Rockstar chic with a dash of elegance
After skyrocketing to alternative teen idol status, scoring stints as the face of British budget fashion brand New Look and John Galliano’s new fragrance, and releasing a music video that made Lady Gaga sound like a conservatory-trained opera singer, Gossip Girl’s Taylor Momsen is finally gaining enough clout to influence trends in the beauty world.
Apparently, Taylor’s bottle blonde glammed up grunge aura is the “it” look this Autumn, according to Bourjois, which it calls the Paris Barock look.
It represents a certain glow that emanates from children of the aristocracy, fused with an air of struggling defiance to remain on trend – relevant and aligned with the fashion of the times. It is an impertinent style combining poetry and elegance with the edginess of a rock chick look.
How do Taylor fans achieve this look? This season, Bourjois is working on harmonies inspired by the noble materials of authentic aristocracy: shades of garnet velvet offset with burnished gold, silver or bronze.
Here are the steps, covering everything from eyes to the nails, to achieve that Parisian Baroque look effortlessly:
- For the eyes, the brand’s Smoky Eyes Trio in Lady Vert-de-Gris brings together three complementary shades: a white gold illuminator with subtle shimmer and a grey and brown shade. The micronised formula provides good coverage and is easy to blend for a strong and sophisticated smoky eye.
- With its burnished gold colour, Liner Pinceau in Or néo-classique enhances the eyes and makes them pop. This is probably how Taylor can scowl at people like a shrieking hyena just by looking at them. To create an even stronger rock look, apply a stroke of khaki or grey pencil. Try Bronze raffiné and Gris ingénieux Khôl & Contour pencils. As a final touch, Volume Glamour Mascara in Ultra Black finishes off the lashes with an extreme shade of black carbon.
- For nails that work like an accessory, an essential part of this decadent aristocratic look is the newly-introduced shade of 1 Seconde Nail Enamel. Its name, Gris Cashmere, means grey with a vintage finish. Once applied to the nails, this pure shade reveals a deep and distinguishing colour.
- Cheekbones are the most underrated features of the face. Pay attention to them with Tomette d’or Blush which redefines and subtly highlights the cheekbones. Its pinky-brown shade enhanced with golden pigments produces a healthy glow.
- For the most inviting lips, the satin texture of SWEET KISS lipstick dresses the lips in elegant and soft shades of rosewood, brick red and garnet red. This results in discreet sophistication thanks to the special formulation that brings a light texture and an intense explosion of colour. SWEET KISS comes in three shades: Brun Sophistiqué, Brique Chic and Rouge Intemporel.